A Decadent caramel sauce recipe that is made from unrefined sugar, succulent dates and soothing red tea. This sauce is easy to prepare, rich in flavor and a fantastic dessert topping!
“When these inspirations come we feel that we can rise – over every obstacle that in the pathway lies. In such moments we have power to do what must be done. Seize them, ere they vanish like the dewdrops in the sun.” – Patience Strong
Red tea is a bush unique to South Africa and known for its natural health benefits. It is used in many beauty ranges and frequently enjoyed as a comforting beverage.
In this recipe I combined the brewed red tea with fresh moist dates and tangy lemon juice. This gives the caramel a clear amber charm that is nutty sweet with a hint of tart. Drizzle this over your favorite gelato or enjoy with homemade waffles – it is certainly a treat!
Vegan Caramel Sauce with Red Tea
Red tea mix
- 0.375 kg brewed red tea
- 0.025 kg corn starch
- 0.065 kg fresh lemon juice
- 0.065 kg fresh pitted dates
- 1 pinch salt
- 0.375 kg demerara sugar
- 0.125 kg water
Making the red tea mix.
- Blend the ingredients for the red tea mix together. Strain, then reserve.
Cooking the caramel sauce:
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and cook to approximately 132°C (until it resembles a caramel).
- Once the sugar is ready, remove from the heat, then delaze with the red tea mix.
- Return the sauce to the stove and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook a further 5 minutes while stirring with a whisk.
Liked this recipe? Then subscribe below to receive similar sweet treats!