Treat yourself to depth of aroma, with a hint of natural sweetness, by making this healthy crumpet recipe. The batter consists of homemade buttermilk with the addition of vibrant blueberries. It is low in sugar and vegan friendly too!
Pardon me if I am a little nostalgic, but homemade crumpets suggest a putative Englishness with storytelling overtones. Similar to its English muffin counterpart, crumpets can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a teacake on a beautiful afternoon.
Traditional crumpets are pale in color with deep holes that can be drenched in your favorite marmalade. They are enjoyably decadent, light and juicy.
The dense batter can easily be whipped up by hand. Important to crumpets are the right flour and liquid ratio, and a mix of leavening, for the holes to appear.
In this recipe, I added buttermilk, a touch of organic sugar and healthy seasonal blueberries. During cooking these crumpets caramelize somewhat which adds a slight bit of sweet. The blueberries bring forward little bursts of tart, as you relish this great tasting treat.
Healthy Buttermilk Crumpet Recipe
- electronic kitchen scale
- crumpet rings
- non-stick frying pan & lifter
- hand whisk
- stainless steel mixing bowl
- 0.005 kg instant dry yeast
- 0.100 kg soy milk unsweetened
- 0.003 kg baking soda
- 0.005 kg lemon juice
- 0.075 kg soy milk unsweetened
- 0.025 kg demerara sugar
- 0.001 kg ground cinnamon
- 0.001 kg salt
- 0.125 kg white bread flour unbleached
Additional (for frying)
- seed oil blend
- Group A – warm the soy milk until tepid. Stir in the yeast. Reserve on the side.
- Group B – whisk the soy milk and the lemon juice in a bowl. The lemon juice will curdle the soy milk to make the buttermilk. Now stir in the baking soda and allow the mixture to react (2 minutes).
- Group C – sift, then fold into group B.
- Add the yeast mixture and combine, using a hand whisk.
- Cover the bowl and allow the batter to rest, in a warm place, for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Grease the rings and place inside.
- Scoop some batter inside the rings and fry 2 – 3 minutes. Turn over and cook another 1 – 2 minutes.
Liked this recipe? Then subscribe below to receive similar sweet treats!
I also invite you to join me on social for the latest and behind the scenes.