Discover what this craze over zesty lemon, baked pears and chocolate is about? Even better is how amazingly healthy these muffins are. The recipe is enjoyably vegan with flours that are both free from gluten and fantastic as a source of protein.
Warmer weather means sharing goods from the garden! I recently received some succulent golden lemons as a gift and thought I would not mind them in a bake. When I think of lemon in bakes I cannot help but think of a buttery Madeira loaf. Classically this cake accompanies teatime, and may sometimes be noted at breakfast too. Originating from British and Irish cookery, this sponge is simultaneously dense and light, with a sweet spark of citrus.
I sought to create a similar texture rendering the known yellow tinge and was on a quest in doing so using only healthy, organic, plant based goods. As a flour alternative I relied on the benefits of chickpeas and oats. They are both wonderful sources of protein and naturally compliments each other in baking. I added a few slices of the French-variety comice pears into the batter and finished the muffins with a chocolate chip and oats crumble. Once baked, this is truly an anytime treat!
Lemon & Pear Muffins (gluten-free) (vegan)
- electronic kitchen scale
- hand whisk
- non-stick muffin tray
- silicone spatula
- stainless steel mixing bowls
A – combine
- 0.075 kg demerara sugar
- 0.050 kg lemon juice
- 0.005 kg lemon rind
- 0.075 kg seed oil
- 0.163 kg soy milk unsweetend
B – sift
- 0.010 kg baking powder
- 0.032 kg chickpea flour
- 0.175 kg oat flour gluten-free
- 0.001 kg salt
C – add
- fresh pears (peeled & sliced)
- 0.025 kg dark chocolate chips
- 0.025 kg demerara sugar
- 0.002 kg ground cinnamon
- 0.050 kg oat flour gluten-free
- 0.025 kg oats rolled
- 0.025 kg seed oil
- Line a muffin tray with paper cups.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Group A – combine in a bowl, using a hand whisk.
- Group B – sift, then fold into group A.
- Spoon the batter into the paper cups, then add a few slices of pear in each.
- Rub all ingredients together to make the crumble. Sprinkle on each muffin.
- Bake the muffins 20 – 25 minutes.
Liked this recipe? Then subscribe below to receive similar sweet treats!
I also invite you to join me on social for the latest and behind the scenes.