Upgrade your cookie making with this super Oats Pecan Cookies recipe. I say super, because this recipe consists of wholesome ingredients, is free from dairy and sugar, and will fill your kitchen with inviting nutty scents whilst baking.
What you will need to make great Oats Pecan Cookies?
This dough can easily be made by hand. As a matter of fact, I urge you to make it by hand, as I find it very therapeutic!
Here is what you will need –
- Cake flour – Many of my recipes call for cake flour, otherwise known as plain or type-45 flour. I prefer unbleached flour that was stoneground. This results in a slightly darker cookie dough that has a denser crumb with earthy tones.
- Dairy-free butter – Dairy-free butter or shortening is a solidified blend of non-hydrogenated oils. This is great for baking flaky crusts or perfect cookie crumbs. Look for power ingredients such as healthy oils and cultured nuts. To ensure a good baking result, the natural fat content needs to be a total of 75-80g per 100g shortening.
- Honey – In this recipe I used locally sourced fynbos honey as a healthy sweetener. When choosing honey, it is important to look for organic varieties that was produced in a bee-friendly way.
- Pecan nuts – In order to make this recipe you will need both pecan-halves and pecan-flour. I recently received a bunch of beautiful freshly picked pecans from a friend. This meant that I had to get cracking on those nuts! I used these to savor decorative halves and to blend homemade pecan-flour.
- Rolled oats – Oats are a whole grain and incredibly nutritious. Often included in healthy baking recipes, oats help to control blood sugar levels, is delicious and satisfying.
Tips for oats pecan cookies!
My advise in making a beautiful dough is natural, quality products, the correct weighing of ingredients and, very important, cold butter. In my Vegan Shortbread recipe, I share my best baker’s tips for cookie dough.
OATS PECAN COOKIES
A – cream
- 0.100 kg dairy-free butter
- 0.065 kg pure honey
- 0.050 kg oats rolled
- 0.005 kg vanilla extract
B – sift
- 0.005 kg baking powder
- 0.150 kg cake flour
- 0.050 kg pecan nut flour (ground pecan nuts)
C – to decorate
- extra pecan nut halves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Group A – cream the butter, honey and vanilla. Add the oats and mix.
- Group B – sift the ingredients together, then fold into Group A.
- Cover the dough with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
- Roll the dough out to 0.5cm thick.
- Cut with a 4.5cm cookie cutter and place onto a non-stick baking tray.
- Place a pecan half in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies 10 – 15 minutes.